BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Wednesday, August 15, 2007

New York, New York

Ola folks..I just returned from spending an exhilirating weekend in the fashion capital of the world - atleast my little world - New York City. Every sidewalk was a runway. People strutting their stuff on 5th avenue. A Carrie Bradshaw at every headturn. People struggling to exhibit their uniqueness in every sense. The week before I spent it in Gaithersburg, Maryland which is like any other suburb(yawn!) in the United States. The contrast between the two places was rather hard-hitting. Interestingly enough it was pretty ironic as well.

I was getting a croissant for breakfast at a little bakery around the corner when in walked the fashionista - a skinny, asian girl. pretty, in her mid-20s. Wearing cute shorts and a tshirt. Perfect for the hot-humid weather. Until I saw what she was wearing on her feet. She was wearing furry ugg-boots. In the middle of sweltering humidity and a 100 degrees, wearing ugg-boots with short shorts was not chic, it was geographically out of place. An interesting thought did cross my mind. I have been writing about how people are time displaced and seem to be in a time capsule. For the first time, I was witnessing a woman who lived in two hemispheres at once. OR maybe she thought wearing furry thick boots and shorts made her legs look skinnier.

Immediately I thought of this woman I saw in Gaithersburg, the previous week. She was a female gardener mowing the lawn and clearing out weeds. She was a latina woman in her mid-20s. She was dirty and covered in mud. But she looked like she had walked straight out of a fashion magazine. She was wearing beige pants with a dirty off-white shirt. She had rolled her sleeves to right above her elbows and was wearing a brown leather belt across her waist. Even under the dirt that she was covered in, she managed to look super stylish. As I said before it was pretty ironic. Style transcends boundaries.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

dear abby, i have this nice indyan traditional shirt. i never wore it. can i wear it on a pair of jeans and show up in that attire at work? no, i never look like i ever sang 'guuviiiinda bulu hariii, gupalaaaa buluuuuu' ... but i don't prefer to be called meeser fancy. i am also scared that indyan shirts do not hide the daal-bellies, that well.

loyal-reader-who-just-cleaned-his-wardrobe.

Miss D said...

dear loyal-reader-who-just-cleaned-his-wardrobe,
You neednt be a prem joshua to wear the nice indyan traditional shirt. The shirts are about attitood. Do you want to transmorgofy in your colleague's eyes into the phool-children? Or do you want it to be a gag? Either which way, if you can carry it off with some panache, I'd say go for it.
Make sure you wear it on a Friday and also on a non-meeting day so that you draw the least amount of attention.
Govinda bolo Harry!
- Abby

Anonymous said...

abby, i was browsing through some flickr pictres and it was amazing to see so many colors, shapes, styles, fashions on cellulose and starched human bodies. abby, what makes it us to smile nice and wear the shiniest colors and dazzle when we are young and turn morose and calm and slow, when we age? why do i have these thoughts when i am not even in my early 30's? do you think am on a path to vai-raa-gya? but i may love a dazzling saffron colored robe with a red bandana for a monk's humble attire.

and who is 'prem joshua'?

i-am-awake-when-the-world-sleeps-in-bay-area.

DollHouse said...

My daughter and I ordered a dress from Doll House which was to be custom made. I placed the order on a Monday and was surprised to get a phone call the following Monday to say the dress had arrived it only took eight 8 days. I took the dress home and when I put the dress on my daughter, I realized that had just altered the dress (in store) and found pins still in the side seams. I was so disgusted with their lie when confronted they would not talk to me or acknowledge what they had done. To all you mum’s out there DON’T BUY FROM DOLL HOUSE.