BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Bewitched?

I am blogging from my hometown in India and I am away on my soulful vacation. Yet, my angst continues to haunt me and here I am again, compelled to write. AAh. Such are the woes.
On a high note, I also observed the radical change that India has gone through in the past few years. A lot of people from all over the country have moved to the bigger cities in search of newer opportunities and better jobs. And the influx of the new crowd and fresh faces has radically changed the mindset of these cities. Young people revel in their new found confidence and expression. Before I digress and begin sounding like a political blogger, I should revert back to my original demonic self.
One of the things that has'nt changed is the giant impact that our film industry seems to have on our every day life - the style, the food, the vernacular continue to be strongly influenced by bollywood, tollywood, mollywood and the like. Or has it always been the other way round. I have never really figured it out.
As I was walking in another of the metropolis's hubs for young people, I watched what I thought was a genie walking right past me. This little 5 ft nothing girl, was walking in around in 'I dream of Genie' pants and a little tshirt on top. She seemed perfectly at ease in it. So much so, that I had to recheck my surroundings and make sure that I hadnt suddenly been transported into Aladdin's Arabia. Okay, I exaggerate. But, I was appalled nevertheless. Having attitude and confidence is one thing. Looking stupid and over confident is another. My dear sister explained to me that its been one of our up and coming heroines in some recent bollywood flick. Hence the pervasion of this hideous monstrosity on the streets of Hyderabad.
Its alright to ape and imitate something that your screen idols have worn, but perhaps its a good citizen's responsibility to check themselves in the mirror before they go out into the world to shock hapless victims.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

dear abby, you sometimes sound like quirky version of shobha de. you are supposed to eat pesarattu all day and be at peace with yourself. 5 ft tall gurl is a tollywood herione someone? no way! you got it all wrong. but the yellow genie pair of pants are surely tollywood.

rather add some ghunghura to pesarattu and please stop being this demonic to yellow menace prowling on the streets of your so youthful ceety.

peace out ra!

homeseeck well weesher from bay area

Anonymous said...

I had noticed someone with the same description and a purple flower, last weekend at Scorpions show! Is this the new Kareena Kapoor's style from 'jab we met'!

Miss D said...

Bingo. They are the same! I couldnt stop laughing..I think Kareena wears it in the song in 'Jab we met'. This young lady, however, seems to think its alright to wear it at shopping malls.
But the 'purple flower' seems like the icing on the cake!

Miss D said...

You know what! I havent really read any Shobha de. So I wouldnt know what she wrote like. All I know is that she is rather scandalous and brazen in her statements:D both of which are right up my alley! So thanks.
Gongura doesnt go with pesarattu man! Its allam pacchadi(ginger chutney) which is the right combo.

You should certainly visit home! And maybe eat some 'hurigallu'.
Btw..today I had some great bisibelebath.

Anonymous said...

get me a bisibelebath making machine from there. prefer it to be coy and shy, tall and fair, convent ejjucated and blend(er) of western and eastern values, homely and professional, loves keeds and hates pets.

please!

Anonymous said...

Bollywood is where the fashion trends are set. Bollywood dressing is about dressing sexually, respectfully yet still looking ultimately feminine and glamorous.

doughboy said...

Hahaha .... thats funny, i would have asked to have a picture taken with them. And i would have made them do the bewitched blink ... definaely with arms and all.

Anonymous said...

shri shri shri sambuddhananda swamijee says to annonymous commentor at 11.09 am:

god has not created us all equal. we all should know our differences and live with it. your idea of feminity is dressing well (?) to be glamorous and look sexy and yet admirable in all the ways. dear commentor, feminity is not restricted to well fit younger women who do and need look well and dress in some ways. feminity does also belong to a dammned hopeless girl child who sells newspapers at a traffic junction for a living or to an age old woman who crawls for hours to get a piece of bread and water to see another sunrise. feminity is not just defined through clothing on cellulose bodies and that too on bollywood screens which have changed from black and white saree clad seductress from 60s to bombastic rear-jiggies (swamijee can not utter the word bootay-shake!) of sree-devi to hot-bod and dum-face of dhupias of the current days. ahem. your bollywood is more for a man's fantasy world where the woman do look and act and behave in some ways. your bollywood is a place where mira nair's mediocracy gets floted as the cream of all the layers where the least concern is for clothing. don't get swamiji all wrong, swamiji does accept you as you are, with your subtle tastes in saree trends set by rani mukherji or with bare-chested styles of a certain khan.

let us all chant guvinda bulu harii, gupala buluuu and pray to her/him that the divine forces enter us and make us live and let live the every single moment of our lives and wear all the colors and textures till we live our mortal life.

DollHouse said...

My daughter and I ordered a dress from Doll House which was to be custom made. I placed the order on a Monday and was surprised to get a phone call the following Monday to say the dress had arrived it only took eight 8 days. I took the dress home and when I put the dress on my daughter, I realized that had just altered the dress (in store) and found pins still in the side seams. I was so disgusted with their lie when confronted they would not talk to me or acknowledge what they had done. To all you mum’s out there DON’T BUY FROM DOLL HOUSE.